- Hiring Guidelines for International Employees
- Basic Terms and Concepts
- Hosting and Employing Internationals
- Immigration Statuses at University of Illinois
- Which Status is Appropriate for your International Visitor/Employee?
- Payments to Foreign Nationals
- J-1 vs. H-1 chart
- USCIS Fees
- Important Reminders for Department Contacts
- Scholar Check-in Information
- Scholar Forms
- Department procedures for O-1 Status
- O-1 Processing Flowchart
- Criteria for O-1 Status
- O-1 Forms
- Department Procedures for TN Status
- TN Processing Flowchart
- TN Forms
Green Card Processing
General Student Information
Information about F-1 Students
Information about J-1 Students
Important requirements regarding TRAINEES (currently CELP, IFSI and Executive MBA only)
An individual using this type of J-1 visa must be engaged in a pre-authorized training program (cannot be ordinary employment or fulfill a labor need) which does not duplicate his/her prior work experience or training received elsewhere. These individuals may hold either paid or unpaid traineeships, and may or may not hold an appointment with the university.
The following documents must be included with any J-1 request for the Trainee category which is submitted to ISSS:
1) Evidence of educational and/or professional background in the form of
- a degree or professional certificate from a foreign post-secondary academic institution and at least one year of prior related work experience in their occupational field acquired outside the United States; OR
- five years of work experience outside the United States in their occupational field.
2) Screening and Selection form
- The department will be required to conduct a documented, thorough screening of the individual by an in-person interview, videoconference, webcam or phone, if the other options are not viable. The interview may be performed by a reputable third party acting on behalf of the department.
3) Evidence of sufficient English language skills to complete the training program as
- the English Language Assessment Form documenting an interview (in person, videoconference, webcam or phone, if the other options are not viable) by the faculty host or department; OR
- a recognized English language test, such as TOEFL (acceptable score to be determined by host department); OR
- signed documentation from an academic institution or language school.
4) DS-7002 Training/Internship Placement Plan
- The department will be required to complete this plan for any individual using this category of J-1. A draft DS-7002 may be submitted to ISSS by email for review before signatures are obtained and the formal request submitted via Scholar Dossier to ISSS. Before we can issue a DS-2019, the DS-7002 must be signed by both the trainee and faculty host/supervisor. ISSS will then provide the sponsor signature and will include the fully signed DS-7002 in the DS-2019 packet. The individual will need to show the fully signed DS-7002 at the visa interview.
- For all trainees, a final evaluation by the department will be required. For trainee programs of more than six months, a midpoint evaluation will also be required. Use ISSS created forms.
Training program duration and Repeat Participation:
Trainee programs have a maximum duration of 18 months. Trainees may participate in additional training programs only after residing outside the U.S. for at least 2 years following the last training program. Additional programs must be for the development of more advanced skills or a different field of expertise.