International students on F-1/J-1 status may accept employment under certain conditions or circumstances. Use the links below to research the conditions/circumstances that apply to your status.
- F-1 Employment
- F-1 CPT
- F-1 OPT
- F-1 OPT Extension
- J-1 Employment
- J-1 Academic Training
- J-2 Work Authorization
Finding a Job
On-Campus hourly jobs
- Begin your search for an hourly job on the Virtual Job Board.
- Please note that international students do not qualify for federal work-study jobs. You might also ask your department contact and professors if they know of any available jobs on-campus.
Assistantships & graduate hourly jobs
- Ask about assistantship opportunities in your department.
- Visit the GSAC Assistantship Clearinghouse webpage for listings of assistantships and graduate hourly jobs.
Internships & jobs after completion of studies
- Find out whether your department has a career services office . The career services office will contain a wealth of information about jobs and resources for locating employment.
- Visit The Career Center at 715 S. Wright St., Champaign for help with job search strategies, resume and cover letter writing, and interview skills.
- Investigate job opportunities through professional associations related to your field of study.
- Take advantage of The Career Center’s resume and interview workshops specifically for international students that are useful in a job search strategy. Please contact The Career Center for further information.
For more career resources, check out the international student page on The Career Center site. Most of the career and employment events targeting international students are also shared through the INTLconnect email newsletter (subscribe to INTLconnect). If you want to network with alumni who were once international students, please join the INTLconnect at Illinois LinkedIn Group.