International students who plan to transfer their SEVIS record to another U.S. institution must fill out the transfer out request form.
Transferring your SEVIS record means that your immigration record is transferred and your SEVIS number will remain the same. This is a separate process from transferring your academic record. If you are not in Active status, please see the FAQ below.
- F-1 and J-1 students should access the form via iStart
Students in Active status
- Maintaining status through course registration.
- Final semester students, after completion of classes, prior to end of grace period (up to 60 days after program end date).
- Note: if you are employed on campus or on CPT you must stop working the day before your record is transferred.
Students on OPT in Active status
- After the last day of OPT employment, prior to the start of your new program.
- Note: you must stop working before your record is transferred.
Students in Terminated status
- Your new university would need to accept your record in terminated status and agree to assist with a reinstatement to valid status. They must provide written confirmation they will accept the record. Please make an appointment to speak with an ISSS Advisor for more information.
- Students in Completed or Inactive status.
- Students who are not in F-1 or J-1 status.
- The letter should be on university letterhead from the new institution.
- The letter should specify first semester date of attendance to new university.
School Code (official SEVIS code)
- Please ask your new school for their code. A complete code is a combination of letters and numbers. It is 15 characters long.
- Check that the school code is correct before you submit the e-form.
Transfer-in form (optional)
- If your new institution requires ISSS to fill out a transfer in form, please include this document with the forms listed above. If your form is electronic, please wait for the transfer out confirmation email from an ISSS Advisor for further instructions.
- Continuing students: must maintain registration in current semester - usually students select a date after classes end and classes begin at new school.
- Students who have completed a program: SEVIS record must be released within 60 days of program end date.
- Students employed on OPT: select a date after your last day of employment and before your new program begins. Do not exceed 90 days of unemployment.
- Please check with your new school about their preferred transfer date.
- Your new school can advise on when your new I-20 will be created. We cannot issue an I-20 once your record is transferred.