mobiles menu toggle

Inviting tourists

Many students would like to invite friends or family for a short visit to the United States. The B-2 tourist visa is a good choice for visits under six months or for family members who do not qualify for F-2 or J-2 dependent documents (such as parents, siblings, cousins, etc.).

As a student, you can provide supporting documents for the B-2 visa application. Those documents are listed below. This is not a comprehensive list of all documents required for the B-2 visa. Please contact the Embassy or Consulate where your family or friends will be applying for their B-2 visa to find out the comprehensive list of documentation that is required to apply.

Letter of Invitation

You must write a letter of invitation to support your family/friend's B-2 visa application. The letter should be written in English and contain the following information:

  • Visitor’s name and relationship to you
  • Estimated length of stay in the United States 
  • Statement that you are a student at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign 
  • Expected completion date of your studies

Proof of Enrollment Letter

The proof of enrollment letter verifies your student status at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. You may obtain your own enrollment verification through the Office of the Registrar's website.

Additional Information

  • Visitors in B-2 tourist status generally cannot change nonimmigrant status in the United States.
  • B-2 tourists may not enroll in classes at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign.
  • Those who wish to pursue an activity other than tourism should secure the appropriate visa to enter the U.S before they arrive.
  • In some instances, an extension of stay may be granted by United States Citizenship and Immigration Services. Applications for extension of stay are made using Form I-539. Access forms I-539 and I-134.